Before taking a look at the purpose, content, and learning of The 2020 State of Digital Selling Report, let’s frankly define what “digital selling” means.
Digital selling, often referred to as virtual selling, is leveraging digital tools and channels to make sales teams more productive and customers more satisfied. It’s all about building customer relationships through digital platforms. It includes processes such as social selling, sales automation, online presentations, and CRM operations.
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses increasingly leveraged digital channels to interact with prospects and customers. Beginning of the year, when the pandemic hit and entire organizations moved remote, this trend has been accelerating.
The Altimeter group researched to understand the capabilities and key success factors that facilitate the digital transformation of selling for B2B business. They’ve interviewed leading sales professionals, including LinkedIn’s Head of Key Account Management, Brian Walton, Hubspot’s GM head of Product, Lou Orfanos, and Ciara founder Martin Heibel. Altimeter measured how key success factors resulted in both high-selling achievement (in the form of win rates, sales quotas, and customer satisfaction) and overall digital selling maturity.
They identified six key findings:
- Now, more than ever, selling is a team sport.
- Sales teams need to make the digital mindset shift.
- Hugh-touch, high-value cross-functional selling outperforms automated high-volume selling.
- Top performers focus on the customer through customer-focused metrics, cross-functional teaming, and selling by vertical industries.
- As they build digital excellence, boundaries are likely to blur between sales and marketing teams.
- Digitally mature sellers are outperforming less mature teams through the global COVID-19 pandemic,
Download the full report for free to get an overview of the digital selling capabilities & maturity, detailed insights into key success factors in digital selling, and how COVID-19 impacted the state of digital selling. Altimeter and the interviewed experts will also share predictions on digital selling evolution over the next few years.
If you want to get more information on digital selling and hands-on advice on leveraging digital channels for sales successfully, check out the following resources.
- 5 Digital Selling Expert Tips to Help you Smash your Quote
- How to Set Up a Winning Digital Sales Process
- Why Digital Sales Will Stay the Most Important Sales Strategy Even After Corona
Big thanks to Altimeter and Ed Terpening, for including Ciara founder Martin Heibel as an expert in this exciting research.